Pages

Fictionista, Foodie, Feline-lover

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Holiday romance is my happy place...

 I you've been with me for awhile, you know that I love, love, love mysteries and have been devoted to them since I was a child. Yes, Nancy Drew, but also Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine and more. I started out writing noir-ish stories and was lucky enough to fall into a wonderfully supportive community that encouraged and nurtured me. But a lot of my stories were dark. Sooooo dark.  

And then one day I wrote a Christmas romance. A clean, sweet, cozy, feel-good romance full of quirky characters and food and good things happening to people. And I loved it. I wrote a few more. Then I wrote a Thanksgiving story. Then I wrote a couple of Valentine's Day stories. (If you want to hear my

real-life Valentine's Day story, I recount it in What Was I Thinking? a collection of bad boyfriend stories that was traditionally published.)

I also have a Mother's Day story, a couple of Halloween stories, and a graduation day story. Most of them are set in my fictional city of Silver Birch, Washington, which is a lot like Bellingham, WA, a city I lived in for four years. 

Right now I'm writing a St. Patrick's Day story, and in the next few months I'm writing another "harvest time" story, an Election Day story, a Fourth of July story, and an August story. I plan to collect them all in a book called Seasons of Silver Birch.

I'm hoping to hit up one of my friends to do the cover for it because I got a little carried away buying covers this year and I am going to try not to buy ANYTHING next year that's not vital. Even buy-ins to boxed sets. I got carried away with those as well.

I wrote 350K words last year, all of it for boxed sets. So that will give you an idea. But a lot of those stories were gentle, sweet, holiday romance. And I enjoyed myself immensely. I hope my readers did too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment