Pages

Fictionista, Foodie, Feline-lover

Sunday, March 13, 2022

First Bite is coming soon...

 I never intended to start writing about vampires. I have never read Dracula, and I've never been able to watch Coppola's movie all the way through either. My favorite vampire novel is probably Salem's Lot. I like vampire movies, although they tend to be the offbeat ones, like Only Lovers Left Alive and Byzantium.

But one day a story idea popped into my head and it wouldn't go away and here I am, ten years later, still writing vampire stories. My vampire stories tend to be...different...from the standard PNR-style vampires. I tend to think in terms of practicalities. What would it really be like if we shared the world with creatures of the night? Would there be dry cleaners who specialized in getting blood out of clothes? Would vampire athletes compete with human ones? How many old vampires would still be sane.

"Vampire Occupation" is a story I wrote for an anthology/boxed set called First Bite, and I guarantee it's not exactly like the other stories. Although it is the story of a love triangle. 

Basically, my story is Red Dawn with vampires. A virus has decimated the human population at the same time the rush for a cure has created a new type of vampire. And now they've taken over...The tory I envision is actually going to end up to be sort of a menage tale, which is not something I usually do either. But somehow, it seems appropriate.  First Bite will be out soon, and you can preorder it here, across all the ebook platforms.

No comments:

Post a Comment