Pages

Fictionista, Foodie, Feline-lover

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Surf's Up

Aloha

As you may know, CBS is about to launch a remake of the classic television series Hawaii 5-0. This was the show that launched "5-0" into the lexicon as well as making a catch phrase of "Book 'em Danno." As catch phrases go, it's not that cool (coming in somewhere behind Kojak's "Who loves ya baby?" and "Where's the beef?") but turning a television title into an urban slang term--that's pop culture immortality.

The show had a long run (from 1968 to 1980) and during some of that time, I lived in Honolulu. My apartment overlooked both the Punchbowl cemetery and Iolani Palace (with the statue of King Kamehameha in front). Both locations are seen in the iconic credit sequence. (Possibly the best television credit sequence ever with that shot of Jack Lord turning around on the balcony and gazing steely-eyed into the camera as the Hawaiian breezes tugged at a strand of his perfectly coiffed hair.)

James MacArthur used to wander around the grounds of the Palace on his lunch breaks, being charming to the tourists and signing autographs and posing for pictures. Everybody loved him. And being a resident of Honolulu, I always felt somewhat proprietary about the show.

Here's the credit sequence for the new show.

Here's the credit sequence for the classic show.

What do you think? And what television show would you like to see updated?

5 comments:

  1. I don't want to see any more shows updated. And I still love the original Hawaii 5-0. Lords is Steve McGarrett like James Garner is Rockford.

    With the new 5-0, why didn't they simply introduce new characters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to see (and I know it's not going to happen) shows revived that didn't get a fair shot on their original networks. "Karen Sisco" on HBO or Showtime would real nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the original H5-0.....but I am very much looking forward to the new H5-0. Yes, I am a fan of Alex O'Loughlin, they have finally found a show that is a good 'fit' for him. So....having one of MY favorite shows back AND having Alex in it......perfect! Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of reviving shows that really never got a chance. Like MAXIMUM BOB (Beau Bridges, Sam Robards and Elmore Leonard) and PROFIT. Does anyone remember PROFIT? The last second of the pilot had me riveted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new title sequence isn't bad. I hope the make references to Thomas Magnum since he used to refer to 5-0 during his show.

    JDC

    ReplyDelete