Pages

Fictionista, Foodie, Feline-lover

Thursday, April 3, 2014

C is for CraigsList

As I have mentioned before, I get a fair amount of work from CraigsList ads. I trawl through the listings often enough that when someone repeatedly posts an ad, i notice it. (There's a YA writer in New York who's been offering "an intriguing proposition" for a young and hungry writer that has me intrigued, although I am pretty sure I'm not what he/she is looking for. But it IS a bad sign that the ad has been running on and off for a couple of months now. Is the poster just REALLY picky or is there something that's not being said in the ad?)

A lot of strange gigs end up under the writer/editor category and some are just annoying. I get why translation jobs are there--there's no other category that really fits--but when I see the jobs for office work or hotel clerking, or other non-eriting/editing jobs, I get kind of cranky.

A lot of people complain that many of the writing "jobs" and "gigs" are actually unpaid but oddly, that doesn't bother me that much. I've been known to take on unpaid gigs if I thought they sounded interesting. That's how I ended up editor of Astonishing Adventures Magazine, a job that opened up many doors for me.

My favorite job offer this week was the person who wanted a Klingon speaker to translate a poem into the alien language for $50. Why not? Good luck on that.

Reading CL postings can occasionally be like sifting through the messages in your email spam folder. You have to weed out the million dollar offers and the great deals on cheap meds, and the greetings from lonely Russian girls who want to be your pen pal. This is a headline I saw today:
 2,500-10,000 Overnight NO SCAM (NYC/NJ)

I know what you're thinking. WOW!  Let me get a piece of that. (Or not.) CraigsList i love you but seriously, you need to rewrite your policies.



No comments:

Post a Comment