Pages

Fictionista, Foodie, Feline-lover

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Feminist Fiction Friday

I love Sharyn McCrumb. First of all, I love the way she spells her first name, which makes it more interesting without being so quirky it calls attention to itself. I first came to her writing through her "Ballad" series of mysteries in which contemporary crimes are juxtaposed to things that happened in Appalachia a long time ago. (It's basically the same idea behind the Clive Cussler novels.) I've read all the Ballad novels, but The Rosewood Casket is probably my favorite. She has several other series, and has also written some wild sci-fi books.

I am a huge fan of her book St. Dale, which is filled with NASCAR racing lore (McCrumb's a fan) and love for the late, great Dale Earnhardt.  I've been pitching St. Dale to my clients for years because it would make a GREAT movie. But alas, it does not have a giant robot in it.

I love that the "ballad" books have a real sense of place. McCrumb is from North Carolina, so her dialogue is authentic and her love for the area is on every page. The Appalachian Ballad series has a cast of characters that recurs, and you will find yourself falling in love with all of them. If you don't know her work, you should.

No comments:

Post a Comment