Pages

Fictionista, Foodie, Feline-lover

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Quick Cuisine--Curried Brown Rice with Veggies

Photo by Vassilis Dourdounis
Things have been incredibly hectic this week at Chez Kattomic, and meals have been a rather haphazard affair. That's always a problem because you can only order pizza or make microwave nachos so many nights before you start running a nutrition deficit. Here's my go-to recipe for busy nights.

CURRIED BROWN RICE
WITH VEGETABLES AND SUNFLOWER SEEDS

1 cup brown rice
2 cups water
1 bag frozen mixed veggies (corn/peas/carrots/green beans)
Several ounces unsalted sunflower seeds (to taste, really. I like a lot of crunch)
2 TBSP. olive oil
salt to taste (I don't add salt if I'm making this just for myself, but will add it if sharing) 
Curry powder to taste (I like a lot, and I use a Madras curry blend) 

Prepare the brown rice as usual, but dump in everything else.  It will take a little while for the water to come back to a boil because of the frozen veggies but then just turn off and cover as usual.

This will serve two people heartily as a main dish and you only have to spend about five minutes at the stove.  It's kind of like fried rice without the egg and the olive oil makes it particularly satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment