Pages

Fictionista, Foodie, Feline-lover

Friday, January 25, 2013

Where do you get your ideas?

I'm always curious about how writers come up with their stories--one reason I really enjoy "How I Came to Write This Story" over at Patti Abbott's blog. Most of the time when I come up with an idea it's because of some sort of collision between something I've read or seen on TV and something that has happened in my daily life.
Right now, I'm writing a story called "Failure to Communicate." It's about a crazy cat lady that thinks her cat is sending her secret messages via the cat box.
The idea came to me one morning as I cleaned up after the cat and found a perfect letter L left for me in the cat sand. Eeeewwww. 
Nothing is ever wasted.

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It will be done soon because I seem to be willing to do almost anything rather than finish my novel.

      Delete
    2. Ooh, didn't realize you were working on a novel. Cool

      Delete
    3. I was not born to be a novelist like some people. My comfort zone is actually 1500 to 2500 words.

      Delete
  2. Just got an idea this week based on a friend's comment that she only ever plays one piece on her cello. Tell me that wouldn't drive her husband mad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it's Pachelbel's Canon in D Minor. That's hilarious.

      Delete
  3. Love it - the catshit method! You have a litterate cat...

    ReplyDelete