Pages

Fictionista, Foodie, Feline-lover

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Joan Didion just published another book. Yay!

I was in high school when I discovered the writing of Joan Didion. I can't remember which book was my gateway, either The White Album or Slouching Toward Bethlehem, but I was beginning to see that I wanted to be a writer myself and her elliptical style hypnotized me. I wanted to write that way. It was the first time I'd really analyzed "style' outside of an English class. And the first time I truly realized that something so effortless-seeming was actually insanely difficult. I cannot wait to read her latest book, which is out today. I have been a working writer for several decades now and I still have so much to learn from her.

2 comments:

  1. Making my way through SLOUCHING. Haven't read it in forty years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother is a huge fan of hers as well, recommended The Year of Magical Thinking to me. I haven't read it yet. Or the one after it either. Blue something?

      Delete