These days, the hottest thing in romance writing is heat and Ellora's Cave is one of the publishers that is bringing the heat. For the next 13 days, writer Tawny Taylor of the blog Redlines and Deadlines is hosting a contest "Some Like it Hot." The prizes involve critiques from editors at Ellora's Cave, which is not as instantly gratifying as, say, a gift card to amazon.com, but better for your career if you're prone to reading other people's books instead of writing your own. Here's the low-down in her own words:
Starting October 25th, 2010, I will be hosting a writing contest!
The final judge is an editor from Ellora’s Cave.
All SubGenres of erotic romance accepted.
This contest is open to both unpublished and published authors of erotic romance fiction. All entries shall be the author's original work and not contracted for publication prior to the entry deadline. (Authors currently published with Ellora's Cave are not eligible to enter.)
How the contest works:
* You may submit one chapter--not to exceed 5000 words. Stories must be complete. (A one-page synopsis may be included.)
* Each Monday, two stories will be selected by Ellora's Cave editor Grace Bradley. At the end, six weekly winning authors will submit a partial (first three chapters, last chapter and synopsis) to the final judge for ranking.
The first place winner will receive ...
A critique of the full winning manuscript by EC editor Grace Bradley!
The second place winner will receive...A critique of the partial manuscript by EC editor Grace Bradley (first three chapters, last and synop).
The third place winner will receive...
A critique of the first chapter by EC editor Grace Bradley.
One entry will be selected each week by random drawing to received a detailed critique by an author published with Ellora's Cave.
* Starting Date: October 25th 2010. Entries will be accepted until 11:59 pm November 12, 2010.
* Three rounds
Submissions received between 12:00 am October 25th and 11:59 pm October 29th will be considered for round one. Submissions received between 12:00am Oct. 30 and 11:59 pm November 5th will be considered for round two. And submissions received between 12:00am November 6th and 11:59 November 12th will be considered for round three.
* Weekly Finalists Announced on November 1, 2010, November 8, 2010 and November 15, 2010.
* NO Entry Fee or purchase necessary to win.
* Send entries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include genre, word count, and your name and contact information. A one-page synopsis may be included.
Before entering, please see all the details at: http://www.tawnytaylor.com/WritingContest.html
For any questions, email Tawny (email@example.com)